Ironically, the State Prosecution intended to prosecute the demonstrators with murder charges despite the fact that all the victims were gunned down by the police and this had never been questioned by anybody. Earlier this week all the protesters were freed, but new violent clashes took place. This time the police used rubber bullets against the black workers and only four miners were wounded and hospitalized.
The change in the position of the government is perceived by the miners as their major victory and it seems that they will continue the strike until some of their demands will be satisfied. One of the miners activists, Zondwa Mbutu told the "Voice of Russia": "After 34 comrades were killed by the police on August 16 we had to deal with 270 arrested miners. Only our protests and worldwide publicity forced the government to back off. Originally they wanted to accuse the victims of police violence of causing the blood-bath".
It seems that the government of South Africa is really vulnerable when it comes to the international outburst of dissatisfaction with the current human rights situation in the country. This was confirmed to the Voice of Russia by the human rights veteran campaigner, the leader of PRAAG organization, professor Dan Roodt: "The prosecution retract from the murder charges against the workers has demonstrated the government vulnerability to the world public opinion. But while being preoccupied with the violence against the miners, the world media is absolutely silent about the continuing slaughter of the whites on pure racial grounds. Just yesterday we heard about terrible attack on a couple with two children in the Roses Garden near Pretoria. The husband was beaten up brutally and his wife was raped by them in front of the children. How long will the world stand idly by this?"
However, there is no much "glasnost" in the world press when the matter is the plight of white minority in SA. The terrible atrocities towards white farmers, for example, never make front pages of leading newspapers in Europe and in the USA. Even the controversial singing in public of the song "Kill the Boer" by the state president Jacob Zuma does not make any headline in the "New York Times".
However, the publicity does work very well in South Africa. Last week there was another break announced during the trial of white underground group called the "Boeremag". All the defendants were found guilty of "treason". Some of the accused activists were involved in nothing more than discussing the ways to stop the genocide of the whites in SA and to create a separate state for themselves, as the people of Lesotho or Bophuthatswana did.
One of them, the war hero of the Eighties, Adriaan van Wyk was released last week from prison after more than ten years behind bars. The Boeremag trial lasted for over ten years before reaching the verdict, but the final sentencing is still ahead. There is no analogy to such a lengthy trial procedures while almost all of the accused kept in prison. The judge decided that Adriaan van Wyk can be free, because there was no reason to sentence him to more than ten years anyway. However, he was released under severe restrictions and one of them is not to speak to the press.
But his lawyer, Daan Mostert told to "The Voice of Russia" that "the restrictions violate the basic rights of Adriaan Jacobus van Wyk, who should have been released on bail after the interrogation in the first time, if there were justice". Daan Mostert is also convinced that "telling the truth around the world about the situation in SA is the most important for the people who suffer from violence and injustice". He also wanted to thank "The Voice of Russia" which made the case of van Wyk public a month ago. "Your publication played in important role in getting Adriaan out of prison. We can not overestimate the importance of true information – it can change people's destinies and save lives".